Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:48:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   MOXA C104+ 4-port serial card -- runs good for me.

Hello gentlemen,

just now testing MOXA C104+ 4-port card. It has 4 STARTECH 16C550CP
FIFO UARTS.

Works good. I'll be surely recommending it to the people after it
will work this good way at least for a month. Haven't tested it
with SLIP or PPP yet, but it shouldn't be troubles, as the card
itself is pretty simple and Taylor UUCP bidirectional 'i' protocol
runs great.

The card differs from AST-4 -- it has a separate interrupt
register, which CANNOT be mapped to a scratch register of any of the UARTs.
The switches on the board let you set IObase of the ports in the range of

0x100 .. 0x3c0 step 0x40;

interrupt register can be set via separate switch to a value in a range

0x0 .. 0x3f0 step 0x10

and this way the card consumes _all_ additional 16 bytes of IO port space
though only the 1-st byte is used for interrupt register. It seems to me they
did it for their software' convenience and for compatibility
with their "elder" boards (they have some 8 and 16 boards too, but
I wasn't impressed after reading their specs. Opinions or experience?)

I couldn't find a way to set where interrupt register lives using
flags in sio.c without stupid hacking it (FreeBSD-2.0.5 from CD),
and finally I threw this register somewhere to a "safe" unused place,
and configured the MOXA card as BOCA
card (told sio.c that interrupt register is not present at all).
Could I solve this better?

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	"...Good marketing beats good technology, every time". True?