Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 21:24:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it ok to use the FreeBSD name in a cyberpunkish   fictional story?

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Mike Avery wrote:
> On 12 May 99, at 20:21, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>
> > At 18:42 12-05-1999 -0500, Licia wrote:
>
> > >(smiles) I've got to get around to writing that glossary :)  c&e is slang
> > >the characters use to mean 'compress and encrypt', I'll try to start a
> > >glossary when I get episode 2 online, and update it with each new episode
> > >:)
>
> > I have a better suggestion: Incorporate it in the story. When a slang term
> > is used for the first time, find some excuse to explain to the reader what
> > it means but not in an obvious way.
>
> > Otherwise you are forcing the reader to interrupt the reading experience
> > just to look something up in a glossary.
>
> A very good point.  When I am browsing in a book store and a work
> of fiction has a glossary - or worse yet an explanation of a foreign
> language the author and last 4 people the author slept with made up
> while they were really wasted on their drug of choice - causes me to
> look for another book.
>
> The writers job is to communicate.  And if a work of fiction requires
> a glassary, the author hasn't communicated.
>
> Mike

I agree to some extent.  I don't favor the extensive and random use of a
purely fictional language, but when you are doing a story in a genre that's
not mainstream, it's just a courtesy to the "non initiate" to offer a clear
definition they can refer to.  The fact that there will be some slang and
terminology that developes as a result of the characters close association
with eachother over a long period of time, just means I need to expand that
glossary the tiny amount needed to cover that.  I have readers who don't know
what a filesystem is, but who -do- want to read this story, so I need to
accomodate them :)  Or is it a matter of my not being able to communicate, if
I can't explain Computer Science 101 completely in context without seeming too
artificial? :)

[ EMail : licia@o-o.org              ] [ Name    : Christine (Licia) Maxwell ]
[ Home  : http://www.o-o.org/~licia/ ] [ Hobbies : write, program, web, chat ]
[ BBS   : http://www.o-o.org/bbs/    ] [ Handles : Licia / LadyWolf / Sysop  ]