Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 00:08:36 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A breath of fresh air..

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 04:33:42PM -0600, Mike Meyer stood up and spoke:

> But trying to convince Anthony that other people's requirements might
> be different from his is just like talking to any religious
> fanatic. They've made up their minds about what is and isn't right,
> and nothing will ever change their minds.

There've been many things I faild to understand at all. One of these things
is why someone invest a huge ammount of time, trying to convince people
that Windows is the best desktop system. I guess I shall never understand
what gain is achieved if people would agree to this, but for good reasons,
they don't.

This discussion has crawled to various FreeBSD mailing lists, and, well, if
I were convinced that Windows was the better system, I'd stop bugging other
people and simply use Windows. I don't need other people's "ok" in order
to be able to use what I want to use, after all.

I have always disliked any kind of generalization, i.e. I agree with Mike
that what's best always depends of what is actually required. In that
context, I can guarantee that FreeBSD is the desktop systems that best
suits my needs (i.e. gives me what I want), and there are many other people
who think the same way. This is called freedom of choice, and we cannot
really argue about this, just as we cannot really argue about blue
*generally* being a more beautiful color than red...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany