Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:44:42 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fork wedging (I think)

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

On 2007-Mar-01 11:48:54 +1030, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrot=
e:
>The problem seems to occur when the acquisition process (called the Record=
er)
>tries to fork off a new child.

Your description and the ps output suggest a filesystem deadlock.

>Does anyone have any suggestions for debugging it? I will try and get a cr=
ash
>dump the next time it happens although it's going to be difficult if I can=
't
>use sysctl :(
>
>(I don't have console access and the system is in a very remote location j=
ust
>to make it extra fun)

A console would make it easy.  My suggestion is to keep a shell open
in /rescue and use './sysctl' (and other commands in rescue).  I think
you will still be able to execute static executables in the current
directory vis a relative path even if the FS is deadlocked.  (As long
as your shell isn't trying to write command history to a file).

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/--