Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:51:02 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High interrupt load on firewalls

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:18:42AM +1000, Christopher Smith wrote:
> Ok, so any of the network benching products that can spit out a stream of
> UDP traffic should suffice ?

i presume so, yes. I have some tweaks in the kernel to duplicate packets
in the kernel and get higher peak rates, but the patches for that are
broken at the moment.

> Ok.  Will normal netstat do ?  I tried it on one of our machines and got

yes, the only advantage of "ns" is that it shows multiple interfaces
and does not scroll the screen.

> This only seems to indicate ca. 80kpps, which doesn't seem to agree with the
> numbers I see in 'systat -ip'.  Is there a counter rolling over somewhere ?

no idea. BTW it seems that you are adding in and out traffic. when i
said 260kpps i meant that the box was receiving 260kpps (actually more)
and transmitting 260kpps. On the other hand i had basically no firewall
work, so that is in line with your numbers.

	cheers
	luigi