Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:39:41 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   msdosfs - support for large disks?

Hello,

I was trying to find out the current status of support for large MS-DOS
disks (well, filesystems, perhaps) in -stable (and 5.3).
I checked mount_msdosfs(8), msdosfs(5), fsck_msdosfs(8), newfs_msdos(8),
the Handbook and the FAQ. Nowhere could I find any statement as to what
size disk / filesystem is supported. From some Google searches, it seems
like the limit used to be (and perhaps still is?) 128GB.

Is this still true, or will 5.3 and later support larger msdosfs file
systems?
The reason I ask is of course interopability of external hard drives
with other operating system (like Windows).
Personally, I wish the world would adopt a portable and free standard
for filesystems to be used on external drives. one that would support
large disks for at least ten years from now.

Oh well, a man can dream.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,