Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:10:52 -0500
From:      Brendan McAlpine <bmcalpine@macconnect.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HELP!!  problem with new bsd mail server

--B_3099075054_5902193

Hello

I have a very weird problem going on with my new BSD qmail server.

The machine has two ethernet cards, running FreeBSD 4.4.  I think I set up
the ethernet configuration incorrectly, or my machine is seriously broken.

Here is what happens.  The machine runs without problems for long stretches
of time.  Then, all of a sudden, it goes deaf to network connections.  It
seems to be some sort of conflict or something.  The machine can=B9t ping the
switch its connected to.

Tonight, the machine resorts to this behavior immediately after startup.
Every once in a while I can=B9t get 3 or 4 pings through to it.

I=B9ve deleted the ip address configuration I set up on the ethernet
interfaces. =20

Could someone direct me to the best way to configure these cards?  Should I
use ifconfig or just edit the rc.conf file, or both?  Also, how should I se=
up the cards?  One interface down?  OR can I give them both the same IP for
redundancy.

Lastly, would this even be the root of the problem, or would some sort of
hardware problem do this?

Thanks

Brendan

Ps. I=B9ve already tried switching ports on the switch, moving the machine to
a new switch, and switching the ethernet cable.  The problem lies on the
machine.

--B_3099075054_5902193

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>HELP!! &nbsp;problem with new bsd mail server</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Hello<BR>
<BR>
I have a very weird problem going on with my new BSD qmail server.<BR>
<BR>
The machine has two ethernet cards, running FreeBSD 4.4. &nbsp;I think I se=
t up the ethernet configuration incorrectly, or my machine is seriously brok=
en.<BR>
<BR>
Here is what happens. &nbsp;The machine runs without problems for long stre=
tches of time. &nbsp;Then, all of a sudden, it goes deaf to network connecti=
ons. &nbsp;It seems to be some sort of conflict or something. &nbsp;The mach=
ine can&#8217;t ping the switch its connected to. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Tonight, the machine resorts to this behavior immediately after startup. &n=
bsp;Every once in a while I can&#8217;t get 3 or 4 pings through to it.<BR>
<BR>
I&#8217;ve deleted the ip address configuration I set up on the ethernet in=
terfaces. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Could someone direct me to the best way to configure these cards? &nbsp;Sho=
uld I use ifconfig or just edit the rc.conf file, or both? &nbsp;Also, how s=
hould I set up the cards? &nbsp;One interface down? &nbsp;OR can I give them=
 both the same IP for redundancy.<BR>
<BR>
Lastly, would this even be the root of the problem, or would some sort of h=
ardware problem do this?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks<BR>
<BR>
Brendan<BR>
<BR>
Ps. I&#8217;ve already tried switching ports on the switch, moving the mach=
ine to a new switch, and switching the ethernet cable. &nbsp;The problem lie=
s on the machine.</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3099075054_5902193--