Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2017 14:06:02 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Ngie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        current list <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw kernel module not being built

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:55:14PM -0600, Ngie Cooper wrote:

> > On Aug 11, 2017, at 10:36, Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com> wrote:
> >
> > When I rebuild my kernel on Jun 13th none of the previous ipfw kernel modules were built:
> >
> > ipfw.ko
> > ipfw_nat.ko
> > ipfw_nat64.ko
> > ipfw_nptv6.ko
> > ng_ipfw.ko
> >
> > and only this ipfw module was built:
> >
> > ng_ipfw.ko
> >
> > However, the verson of /etc/rc.d/ipfw that I'm running (from the
> > freebsd-base-graphics branch) is failing to load ipfw so my firewall isn't
> > starting.
> >
> > So, what am I missing? Is it possible that the freebsd-base-graphics branch
> > that I'm running has an old or improper version of /etc/rc.d/ipfw?
>
> Hi Bob,
>     Can you please provide your make.conf, src.conf, and KERNCONF?
> Thank you!
> -Ngie

Sure. BTW, I cd'd into /usr/freebsd-base-graphics/sys/modules (my drm-next src
is in /usr/freebsd-base-graphics), ran make, then copied the ipfw/ipfw.ko file
to /boot/kernel and was able to start ipfw after that.

***** make.conf *****
KERNCONF=       TAVION

ALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE= yes
BATCH=          yes

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=      linux=c6
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=      ssl=openssl

COMPAT4X=       yes
COMPAT5X=       yes
COMPAT6X=       yes
COMPAT7X=       yes
COMPAT8X=       yes
COMPAT9X=       yes

***** src.conf ***** -- doesn't exit

***** KERNCONF *****
#
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/amd64
#
# For more information on this file, please read the config(5) manual page,
# and/or the handbook section on Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.org/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ../../conf/NOTES and NOTES files.
# If you are in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first
# in NOTES.
#
# $FreeBSD$

include GENERIC_DRM

ident   TAVION_DRM

nooptions       INVARIANTS
nooptions       INVARIANT_SUPPORT
nooptions       DEBUG_MEMGUARD
nooptions       DEBUG_REDZONE
nooptions       WITNESS
nooptions       WITNESS_ALL
nooptions       WITNESS_SKIPSPIN

options         TMPFS

--
Bob Willcox    | Lawsuit, n.: A machine which you go into as a pig and
bob@immure.com |    come out as a sausage.