Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:10:45 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        sp0ng3b0b <sp0ng3b0b@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How long will 4.x be supported?

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:49:23PM -0800, sp0ng3b0b wrote:
> Given the serious stability issues that *some* users are having with
> 5.3, many are sticking with 4.x for production servers.
>
> Will FreeBSD keep the 4.x line alive for a little while longer? Perhaps
> going into 4.12, 4.13, etc?
>
> I ask this only because I don't see a lot of communication to the list
> about these issues being addressed.

As far as I know there are currently no plans for any more 4.x releases
beyond the upcoming 4.11.
Security fixes will however be applied to 4.x until Jan 2007
(according to http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html)

Considering that relatively few changes have been made to 4-STABLE
between the release of 4.10 and 4.11 and considering that this rate of
change will probably slow down even further as time goes on and most
developers move over to 5.x there probably will be too few changes
applied to 4.x to warrant a 4.12 release anytime soon.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson