Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:03:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Zingelman <zingelman@fnal.gov>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pcm problem in 4.4-PRERELEASE

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Andre Albsmeier wrote:

> On Tue, 07-Aug-2001 at 07:25:36 -0000, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> > Since upgrading to 4.4-PRERELEASE, I can't get mtv to do audio anymore.
> > The following message appears in the console window:
> >
> > pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> >
> > I've tried both with and without esd enabled.  Same results.
> >
> > Strangely enough, mpg123 works just fine.
>
> I have exactly the same effects here. Additionally, mxaudio
> (ftp://ftp.xaudio.com/pub/xaudio/players/unix-motif/x86-unknown-linux-glibc/xaudio.x86-unknown-linux-glibc.tar.gz) does funny things as well: When playing a song
> the progress slider at the bottom runs like hell; a 4 minute
> song is processed in 4 seconds. No audio appears...
>
> 	-Andre

Is this on a machine with apm that has been hibernated?  My Dell Latitiude
c800 does both of the above when returning from hibernate while playing an
mp3 with x11amp.

Killing all the x11amp processes (closing the window doesn't do it).  Then
running the linux-real-player seems to recover the state of the audio
device.  After that x11amp works again.  I am 92% sure this happens on
both 4.3-RELEASE and 4.4-PRERELEASE from a week ago.  If anyone is
interested I can bring the box up to todays 4.4-PRERELEASE and verify the
symptoms, then switch back to 4.3-RELEASE and verify there too.

 - Tim

p.s. I am only subscribed to -stable not -multimedia