Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 01:21:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: QWK reader

On Sat, 9 Dec 1995, John Goerzen wrote:

> I am looking for a QWK reader that works under FreeBSD.  So far, I have
> found ATP on the Linux archive under SunSite.  I compiled it but cannot get
> it to function properly when run.
>
> I heard of a reader called QWIX for Unix but archie and VSL both yielded
> nothing.

Actually, I compiled ATP-1.42 for FreeBSD fairly easily -- it only took a
few changes.  And it works fine for me.  The only problem is that
FreeBSD's version of ZIP is a bit weird, and you need to supply special
options in your atprc to get it to work.  Here's what I have:

archiver = zip -jk
unarchiver = unzip -xjoL

I have made a BSD "port" out of it, it can be found on the FreeBSD ftp
site "incoming" directory.  An announcement was posted recently to the
mailing lists, I will forward you a copy.

> From: Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
> To: FreeBSD Announce <freebsd-announce@freebsd.org>
> cc: FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
> Subject: ANNOUNCE: Port of ATP 1.42 QWK Reader for FreeBSD

I have completed a port of the 'ATP' QWK message packet reader for
FreeBSD.  It can be used to read QWK-format message packets, commonly
downloadable from DOS-based Public Bulletin Boards (BBS's).

This version supports ANSI colour and graphics sequences in messages,
when using the syscons driver (dunno about PCVT, since I don't use PCVT
-- it might work), provided that you use the optiions "charset = msdos",
"ansi = on", "color = on", and "graphics = off" (YES, I meant "off" --
that's because the syscons driver handles it automatically) in your atprc
file.

The port directory for it can be found at:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/atp-new.tar.gz

***NOTE*** There is a file called "atp.tar.gz" in the above directory.
This was uploaded by me as well, but IT WAS A MISTAKE -- IGNORE THIS
FILE.  The FTP admin should probably delete it.

The ATP source tarball can be obtained at:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/BBS/mail/atp142src.tar.gz

Enjoy, and please advise me of any problems or bugs or things that aren't
quite working right with this port (if any).

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **