Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:07:43 -0500
From:      "Jim Flowers" <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        David Richards <davidr@skyforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail + spamassasin + corporate exchange server

There are a number of ways different ways, each with advantages and
disadvantages.  If your gateway mail server has a view of both the Internet
and the internal network, you could use a split DNS to provide an external
MX record pointing a domain to the gateway mail server and an internal MX
record (that the gateway mail server sees first) that points to the
corporate exchange server.  No loops.

Secondly, procmail is not really necessary; you could just use the standard
sendmail features such as virtusertable or mailertable to accomplish routing
mail from the gateway mail server to the corporate exchange server on a per-
user and/or per-domain basis.  Procmail can still be used for those
domains/users, if nay, not being routed to the exchange server.

Using open source programs such as
sendmail/spamcop/clamav/spamassassin/mailscanner/mailwatch/mailstats as a
front end to MS Exchange is a wicked spam/virus killing machine, indeed.

My stats are to drop 147 spam and 16 viri and tag another 41 possible spam
for action by the user email client out of a total of 405 messages
processed.  No false positives.  A clean mailbox is a wonderful thing.

--
Jim Flowers<jflowers@ezo.net>