Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:41:19 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        Mail List - Mailman <mailman-users@python.org>, FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>, jmelo@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple instances of Mailman on FreeBSD

On Aug 12, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> --On Wednesday, August 12, 2009 13:55:18 -0500 Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@goldmark.org
> > wrote:

>> I'm posting this to both the mailman-users list and the freebsd-ports
>> list.  I realize that not all follow-up will make it to both lists.

>> But when I do
>>
>>  % cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
>>  % sudo make -DMM_DIR=mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org -
>> DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER install
>>
>> It just installs in the default location, /usr/local/mailman

> This could be a really stupid question (because I've never tried to
> do what you're doing), but shouldn't the above line be:
>
> $ sudo make MM_DIR=/mailman/vhosts/lists.wilson-pta.org
>
> In other words, don't you have to provide the *absolute* patch to
> the install location?

No. Reading the Makefile it is clear that MM_DIR is relative to $PREFIX

The default setting in the Makefile is

  MM_DIR?= mailman

And later on there is a

   MAILMANDIR=     ${PREFIX}/${MM_DIR}

With MAILMANDIR being the absolute install directory.

> The problem is, I'm not exactly sure *where* you want mailman to
> install, so it's hard to be correct without more information.

Mailman (under normal defaults) installs in various directories under

  /usr/local/mailman

The python for all of the CGIs lives in

  /usr/local/mailman/Mailman

and the programs that an administrator might run on the command line
live in

  /usr/local/mailmain/bin

And there are various other directories for queues and logs and data
and per list configurations and such

I want to have instances installed in

  /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/site1
  /usr/local/mailman/vhosts/site2