Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:11:00 +0000 (UTC)
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what are these characters please?

Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

> Given that I'm trying to process the cvs-all messages into XML documents
> (using the perl module XML::Writer which does not do any encoding beyond
> characters such as >, <, etc), any suggestions as to how to deal with such
> characters?  I've been looking through cpan but I suspect I'm using the
> wrong search criteria ("encoding").  Any clues?

Well what encoding do your XML documents use?

I guess your basic situation is that you are getting unknown
characters in an unknown encoding.  You then have to manually figure
out what this is, e.g. you asked here and I'm telling you it's
character U+00E4.  You can now store this in your encoding of choice.

BTW, if you're hazy how all this works (and it sure looks like it),
I recommend you read

  "A Tutorial on Character Code Issues"
  http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

This generally doesn't solve problems by itself, but it helps people
to *understand* the problem.