Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:51:01 -0400
From:      Frank Laszlo <laszlof@vonostingroup.com>
To:        Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup <seb@struchtrup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alternative options for ports

Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup wrote:

> I would like to poll if there is any need for an extension to the
> current menu-driven config frontend.
> My idea was to implement a kind of alternative options, like
> radio-buttons in a gui, using "dialog --menu" or something like this.
> Not enable/disable options, but a way to select one option out of a
> few others.
> For a new port (the lxr source code cross referencer) I will need a
> selection of one of three database clients to use and one of two
> indexing/search engine.
> Please correct me if if there is yet a way to achieve this other than
> coding directly in the ports' makefile.
>
> Will there be any use for some other ports (in the future?).
> I would go to implement this in bsd.port.mk if this is favoured and
> would make sense for others.
> Otherwise, I would implement a way in the ports makefile or using a
> command line/environment option like WITH_DB=xxxx.
>
> I would be pleased to get some feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian Schulze Struchtrup

I personally do not like dialog's in ports, period. It makes unattended
builds a pain, mostly when compiling large ports with an extensive list
of depends, you never know which dependency is going to pop up a dialog
in the middle of an all-night build. I would suggest implementing your
idea specifically for your port. I dont see any reason to hack up
bsd.port.mk with anymore dialogs.
Just my 2 cents.

-Frank Laszlo