Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:14:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        Leo Cazares <leo_cazares@globalvillag.com>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, JULIAN Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, fbsd-atalk@enc.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netatalk /CAP users?

Did you try  Mark Dawson's patches?  It worked fine for me on a
486DX2-50.  The only problem I had was it was not able to
contsruct/interpret its own routing trees; I had to put a FastPath in
place to seed.  Otherwise performance seemed to be reasonable (better
than my Sparc 2 at work).

Mike

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Leo Cazares wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:09:58 -0800
> From: Leo Cazares <leo_cazares@globalvillag.com>
> To: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>,
>     JULIAN Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
> Cc: fbsd-atalk@enc.edu, questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: netatalk /CAP users?
>
>         Reply to:   RE>>netatalk /CAP users?
>
> Hello to all -
>
> I succeeded in getting netatalk to run on FreeBSD, but it took quite a bit of
> patching.  It did not really test the performance, but it did not seem to run
> very fast.  I run CAP on an old Sparc 1 with old ESDI drives, and my
> FreeBSD/Netatalk/100 Mhz 486/16MB RAM/Fast SCSI does not seem to run much
> faster.  I was actually impressed with Linux running CAP, but a bit
> disappointed with the performance of netatalk after I had been hearing about
> how wonderful the design of netatalk as compared to CAP.
>
> Overall, I really like FreeBSD, but I wish the was more support for things
> like the ep device driver (multicast support?) and Netatalk.
>
> I will be bringing up another FreeBSD (133Mhz Pentium) over the next month,
> and you bet that I will again try to install Netatalk and do some more direct
> comparison between Netatalk and CAP.
>
> - Leo
> --------------------------------------
> Date: 03/10/96 2:24 AM
> To: Leo Cazares
> From: John-Mark Gurney
> On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, JULIAN Elischer wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if netatalk can be made to run with FreeBSD yet?
>
> i've heard it runs... but not sure how well.. as I don't run it...
>
> > is anyone working on it?
> > how does it compare with CAP?
> >
> > any comments at all on either?
>
> I use CAP 6.0pl196 (not sure on pl)..  and it works ok...  the machine is
> on a loaded network and it's slow (386/40dx w/ 8megs RAM) so the machine
> doesn't always appear... but it's better than it used to be...
>
> I have cc'ed a list that would have a better answer for you...  TTYL...
>
> John-Mark
>
> gurney_j@efn.org
> http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
> Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)
>
> Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |