Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 21:16:02 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>, jdp@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@freebsd.org, Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 03:47:51AM +0900, Motoyuki Konno wrote:
> > None of the previous objectors have commented on this yet.  Can I assume
> > that those of you with an interest have run the script that was attached,
> > and are happy with the results?
>
> Your note (in <19990628212827.C5662@catkin.nothing-going-on.org>)
> includes your plan for the CVS repository copy ONLY.

Yes, that's right.

> Please show me your final plan for the following things.

OK.  They're not the final plan, because, nearer the time, this will
obviously be opened up to wider comment.  I don't want too much
discussion about this now, because it's bogging down the whole process.
Although, obviously, if people really want to go through it all now then
we can.

Note that I'm flexible on all of this, what follows is my take on what
I'd want it to be if we had the freedom to do it all over again.

> 1. Install directory problem
>
>    In your mail <19990628205537.B5662@catkin.nothing-going-on.org>,
>    > > We have no problem with having a framework to let people choose.
>    > > We're just saying that we would like to choose a default that makes
>    > > sense to most Japanese systems and have people with special
>    > > requirements (such as the ones you mentioned above) change it by
>    > > themselves.
>    >
>    > OK.
>
>    I understood this ("OK") means the default install directory
>    of documents will not move.  Is this right?
>
>       o  The default install directory is [lang] ('ja' for Japanese).

Correct.

>       o  Make a symlink [lang]_[territory].[encoding] ('ja_JP.eucJP'
>          for Japanese).
>          # ln -s ja ja_JP.eucJP

Correct, in the first instance.  In the very long run I'll be pushing for
this to change so that the fully qualified directory name is the default,
and ja/ is the symlink.  I want this to be the way for *every* language
(English, Japanese, Spanish, Chinese, Hungarian, French, Malay, ...).

This change is at least a year in the future, probably more.

> 2. URLs of Web.
>
>    Do you want to re-organize the URLs of Web pages ?

Yes and no.  Or no and yes might be a better answer.

The existing URLs will not change.

However, I would like to be able to put together an FDP web server,
docs.freebsd.org, or similar, which would serve just the FreeBSD
documentation.  This will do all sorts of clever things, like automatically
detect the user's browser language configuration, and send them to the
right homepage.  In time this sort of functionality may be retrofitted
back to www.freebsd.org, but it's simpler to start it from a clean slate.

So, you will be able to tell people to go to either www.freebsd.org/ja/
or docs.freebsd.org/ja_JP.eucJP/ for the same content (Japanese Handbook,
and so on).  In the short term, docs.freebsd.org will have more features.

Note that in this case, the short term is somewhere between 6 months and
a year away.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>