Date:      Thu, 01 Dec 2016 22:42:54 +0000
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?TWFya28gQ3VwYcSH?= <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>,  Olivier Duchateau <olivierd@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thunar is slow when browsing automounted NFS shares

On Thu., 1 Dec. 2016 at 9:41 pm, Marko Cupa=C4=87 <marko.cupac@mimar.rs> wr=
ote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought this question would be more appropriate for forums, but I got
> no answer so far there, so I'm asking again here:
>
> What can I do to speed up browsing automounted NFS shares in Thunar?
> Every double-click under /net takes at least 5 seconds to display
> contents. Clicking "back" and "up" buttons as well.
>
> There are no hangs when navigating there with cd from xfce-terminal.
> Also clementine-player navigates really fast through these folders.
>
> Any help appreciated.
> --
> Before enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.
> After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.
>
> Marko Cupa=C4=87
> https://www.mimar.rs/

Hi Marko,

I noticed this exact same behaviour last night, when I set up autofs(5) for
the first time.

If I navigated autofs(5) nfs shares in /net/ via the console, they were
quickly automounted and listing the contents was very fast. However when I
navigated them with thunar there was a 5 second delay for each folder
change.

Olivier: My understanding was that the autofs(5) behaviour should be
transparent to thunar, and therefore it should not be related to gvfs at
all?

Regards,
Ben