Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:53:52 -0400
From:      drifter@stratos.net
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, fpawlak@execpc.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 07:56:15PM -0500, Jon Hamilton wrote:

> One angle not (apparently) being considered is that if the local population
> is armed and unwilling to capitulate, the government would either have
> to go find something else to do, or start killing people outright, which
> certainly carries more of a political pricetag than, say, waltzing into
> a neighborhood and arresting dozens of unarmed people.  This "ups the
> ante", so to speak, to keep the government (or any aggressor) at least
> a little honest.
> --
>    Jon Hamilton
>    hamilton@pobox.com

	A variation of the above theme...
	Such arguments about defense against government don't work
when the whole force of the government is bearing down on you.  But...
	When it's just one crazed police officer, or
FBI agent, or whatever.  In otherwords, in a world where the government
is more or less the way it is today, with just a few bad apples...
	An other example is if you are in a war-torn country that's subject
to roving armies who are not riding into town in tanks.  If four or
five military men armed with standard issue fire arms decide they want
to rape, pillage, and plunder, an armed civilian population *can*
defend against that.

--
drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
     "Ever notice that in every commercial about the Internet, advertising