Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 21:03:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        shegonee@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: auto-answer

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997 shegonee@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone tell me a niffty way to set my modem to autoanswer
> in rc.local? I know the AT command is ATS0=1, but tip is interactive
> ( can't even use "here" files ) and chat only seesm to work in the ppp
> options file.
> At this point, I don't want tp start ppp at boot up so I need a way
> to set it directly.

Set your modem to auto-answer with ATS0=1 then write it to the modem's
NVRAM with AT&W.  This way, every time the modem is powered up the
auto-answer mode is set.

If you are setting up dialup access, you may be interested in mgetty,
which is much more intelligent about modems than the standard getty.
Mgetty is in the ports tree.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo