Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2016 10:27:13 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Troubleshooting smbfs mount NetBIOS name resolution

I am having an issue mounting smbfs shares on my system.

mount_smbfs: can't get server address: syserr = Can't assign requested
address

I know its failing the NetBIOS name resolutioni, but I don't know why,
and cona't find a way to troubleshoot it.

the fstab entries are:
//SMBFS@workstation/Music
/jails/webmail/ROOT/smbfs/workstation/Music     smbfs
rw,late,-N,noauto       0       0
//SMBFS@workstation/Documents
/jails/webmail/ROOT/smbfs/workstation/Documents smbfs
rw,late,-N,noauto       0       0
//SMBFS@workstation/Downloads
/jails/webmail/ROOT/smbfs/workstation/Downloads smbfs
rw,late,-N,noauto       0       0
//SMBFS@workstation/Pictures
/jails/webmail/ROOT/smbfs/workstation/Pictures  smbfs
rw,late,-N,noauto       0       0
//SMBFS@workstation/Videos
/jails/webmail/ROOT/smbfs/workstation/Videos    smbfs
rw,late,-N,noauto       0       0

I can work around it simply by using the -I switch
mount_smbfs -I workstation //SMBFS@workstation/Music
/jails/webmail/ROOT/smbfs/workstation/Music

Every way I can think to test name resolution works, for both the short
and fqdns name for the host, and I have an entry for it in
/etc/nsmb.conf for it.

[WORKSTATION:SMBFS]
password=$$[**snip**]
addr=10.9.5.66

There is an entry in the hosts file for this machine, think that was
added some time back due to issues with smbfs mounts.

Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot the NetBIOS name
resolution?

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer