Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 15:27:19 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        "R. J. Young" <rjyoung@cgocable.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Video Cards

> That's because nearly ALL video cards are supported, I've never heard of
> one that didn't.

While this is true in some ways, it's not the whole truth.  To
be useful, a video card should provide graphics and the FreeBSD
solution to that is Xfree86 -- and there are plenty of current
video cards that are NOT supported by Xfree86, as my recent
experiences with some of them attests.  Even chipsets that are
claimed to be supported are often not well supported or not even
recognised in their latest versions.

That's not any kind of criticism of Xfree86, since it would be a
huge job to keep up with the flood of rubbish that comes out in
this domain.  But it is wise to check their site to see if the
particular card and model is on the list and to read all the
doco about cards you plan to look at.

There are also plenty of good recommendations for various types
of cards in the archives of this list.  It's worth checking
there, but not too far back (as cards tend to disappear quickly).

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>