Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:43:06 -0600
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: VMware

On 11/22/05, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:
> "Andrew P." <infofarmer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We have bochs and qemu, which are wonderful at
> > emulation of different architectures. If vendors want
> > so, and will do (or sponsor) the appropriate work,
> > we'll welcome Virtual PC and VMware software. If
> > you want to do this work yourself - for free - you'll
> > be welcome, too.
>
> There are patches for the linuxolator available somewhere to let a more
> recent version of vmware run on FreeBSD. So far no src/committer showed
> interest in committing them...

The patches to add the gettid syscall to the linuxolator were commited
to 6.x-CURRENT (now in 6.x and 7.x), but haven't been MFC'd to 5.x.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/linux/linux_machdep.c?re=
v=3D1.44&content-type=3Dtext/x-cvsweb-markup&f=3Dh

This patch is similar to orlando's patch to the linuxolator, except
that the change was made to a different file
sys/i386/linux/linux_machdep.c instead of
sys/compat/linux/linux_misc.c.

http://www.break.net/orlando/freebsd.html

Are there any other patches need for the linuxolator, besides orlando's pat=
ch?

Scot

--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.