Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 11:32:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken (proposal)

>> [make CERASE to BS]
>>
>> > But make anyone dialing in from another FreeBSD (or Linux) machine
>> > or any other PC very happy.
>>
>> Linux? Really?

>hecate:41% stty -a
>intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
>> [That's the only Linux i can reach by now.]

>Is yours SlackWare or Yggdrasil or <other>?

Doesn't matter.  Linux has "always" had the default erase = ^? in both
the tty defaults and the console defaults.  There have been several
flam^?^H^?^Hdiscussions in Linux newsgroups about this.

I set it to ^H in my .profile under everything and first noticed the
FreeBSD keyboard being broken under Linux.  Joerg should have it set to
^? in his .profile.  The results of stty after logging in don't prove
anything.

Bruce