Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:22:45 -0700
From:      "Tim Judd" <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        "Robin Becker" <robin@reportlab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install freebsd from inside another operating system

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com> wrote:

> I'm just wondering if it is possible to install FreeBSD from inside a
> bootstrap operating system such as a knoppix or ubuntu preinstall?
>
> Reason I'm asking is that my boss is asking about getting another commodity
> server using a provider that doesn't offer freebsd. We do get KVM over IP
> however, and I assume that really clever people might know how to handle
> this sort of thing if they have console access.
> --
> Robin Becker

google://depenguinator

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/remote-install/

I must be honest -- if you're looking to get a FreeBSD server without the
provider offering it, and you have problems (such as an upgrade gone wrong)
-- how will you recover the system?

I don't have the comfortable warm and fuzzy feelings by doing this kind of
install.

Have fun with it though.

--Tim