Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:53:21 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        dmaddox@conterra.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Demand-loaded network ifs and bpf

Donald J . Maddox scribbled this message on Sep 26:
> I see that support has been added for demand-loading network
> if drivers.  I seem to recall that the last time I tried using
> network drivers as klds, nothing that required bpf to work
> was functional anymore, because bpf required that the device
> existed at the time it was initialized.  Is this still the case?
> Will bpf work for demand-loaded network klds?

you should do your own research such are reading the commit logs that
has to deal with it (remeber, you're suppose to be reading them if you
are running -current):
wpaul       1999/09/22 20:32:59 PDT

  Modified files:
    sys/pci              if_al.c if_ax.c if_dm.c if_mx.c if_pn.c
                         if_rl.c if_sf.c if_sis.c if_sk.c if_ste.c
                         if_ti.c if_tl.c if_vr.c if_wb.c if_xl.c
    sys/i386/isa         if_wi.c
  Log:
  As suggested by phk, unconditionalize BPF support in these drivers. Since
  there are stubs compiled into the kernel if BPF support is not enabled,
  there aren't any problems with unresolved symbols. The modules in /modules
  are compiled with BPF support enabled anyway, so the most this will do is
  bloat GENERIC a little.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson