Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 07:24:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com (Snob Art Genre)
Cc:        stanb@awod.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RealAudio

> The RealAudio people have a free implementation for FreeBSD, though it
> doesn't come with source code, of course.
>
> I don't know whether the protocol is proprietary.  I would guess that it
> is, because I haven't heard of any other implementations.

I have reas somewhere that one of their algorithms (the 8 Kbit/s)
is not proprietary. The only other 8Kbit/s alg. that i know of is in
the MPEG layer 3 specification (which I don't have, they cost money;
also there is no freely available implementation, at least of the
encoder).

> Unfortunately there's still no RealVideo/FreeBSD.

on the other hand the linux implementation works reasonably well with the
emulation code and latest patches (Real probably used the wrong calls
to keep audio and video in sync, so you have to make the emulation
layer aware of this and fool the application...; i tested this several
weeks ago, maybe they have fixed the problem now)

	Cheers
	Luigi