Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:28:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        .@babolo.ru
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Splitting up ports.

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 .@babolo.ru wrote:

> Maxim Sobolev writes:
> > Unfortunately it isn't as easy as it sounds. There are many places where
> Yes, I understand. But ...
> > 2-level structure (category/portname) is assumed (for example: pkg_install,
> > portupgrade, portbuild, bsd.port.mk, ports www pages etc), therefore unless
> ... bsd.port.mk is easy - see PR 38593 (oh, sorry - distfiles
> was not up to day - repaired).
> Some of tools works with third levels ports as is: pkgdb, pib
> I do not use portbuild, pkg_install - do not try.
>
> > someone is willing to find and fix all those places there will be no move
> > forward. So far I do not see somebody willing and capable of doing that.
> >
> > -Maxim

unless teh group declares that it is an eventual aim to be able to support
> mor ethan 2 levels it will never happen.

If the group declares that EVENTUALLY they would like to support > 2
levels then everyone can keep this in mind as they work on things..

another possibility is to use the current scheme as teh 'inode' level and
have a totally separate 'directory layer' that has a different
organisation using symlinks .