Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 21:56:23 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Nate Williams wrote:
> Mark Murray writes:
> > Nate Williams wrote:
> > :-) :-) :-) Nyah Nyah Nyah! <dodges tomatoes, rotten eggs and other
> > missiles>
> >
> > _I_ started with 386BSD _before_ the patchkit days !!!
> > <*WHACK* - Hey! No fair! (wipes tomato juice out of eyes)>
>
> Hey, I helped start the patchkit, so of course it was before the
> patchkit days.  I think I'm one of the 386bsd 0.1 contributors. :)

OK - maybe you can help me find out something - When the patchkits were
being made, there were the 50000-series that were "not for export". I got
a set - minus the crypt.c, and set it up at the University of Cape Town
(briefly) until Geoff Rehmet picked up that ball and ran with it. (Anyone
following me?) Geoff set up his site (braae.ru.ac.za), making me very
happy (I had no work to do ]:->). What I am looking for is anyone who
remembers any of this - I would like to thank the kind person who
actually took my interest seriously and therfore sparked my further
interest in {386|Free}BSD. Who sent me those "sanitised" patchkits?

> > I bought this 486dx50 for the same reason. I reckon it has at least a
> > year of life in it, given my financial situation. Heck - I bought my first
> > 300MB SCSI drive for UNIX, only I couldn't afford these @#$%ing SYSV4.2
> > pieces of %&*! that were going around. Ain't I glad now!
>
> The orignal 340MB drive is done now.  I thought it went bad so I traded
> something for a modem.  The modem was useless, and it turned out the
> drive was fine, it was a problem with my power supply.

:-) Same here! I have a 340MB SCSI That will replace my "junk" 5"-full
heights (I shit thee not!) _when_ they break. (They are in the edge now!)

> > > It *was* the development box for the 'interim release' and the builder
> > > of patchkits until WC donated freefall. :)
> >
> > Hmm... Piece of history, then... Please take some photographs and submit
> > them somewhere for posterity. (I volunteer if no-one else does)
>
> It looks quite a bit different than it did originally.  It's now got a
> NEC 3x CD-ROM and a nice 17" monitor on it.  Much better than the
> mono-VGA system originally which had 512K of memory. :(
>
> Besides, who wants to look at tower case with floppies on it? *grin*

How much would you give to put your hand on the machine that cracked
ENIGMA? ;-)

I have this soft spot for FreeBSD, see? :-)

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key