Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:36:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld and PAM and login and stuff

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > If there are nonstandard options that cause the build to fail in the
> > middle, perhaps they should be documented or even detected.  I believe
>
> How?  There is a huge array of possible ways in which to hang yourself
> here and I'm almost certain it would be impossible to enumerate, let
> along detect, them all.

Just playing devil's advocate:

> How do you detect that someone has passed in bogus CFLAGS

Try out the compiler / CFLAGS combo and see what happens (with a small
test program of course)

>, for example?  Or set the optimization too high?

Assuming gcc is being used, what about having awk feed each argument
of CFLAGS to a grep O|grep -v O2? A regexp might be more suited...

> All of those things can cause the build to fail and are only examples
> of some of the less subtle ways of doing it.

If you really wanted to I'm sure you could come up with some way to
check all of this, but doesn't your sock drawer need cleaning? ;)

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |