Date:               Sun, 13 Aug 1995 20:23:43 GMT
From:      AAU System Operator <sysop@aau.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:         Configuring Network Interface Card (EZ-2000) on FreeBSD...help!!

Hello Friends @ FreeBSD:

It's me again!

As you know, you solved my password problem and here am I again with more
trouble!

We have a 2-server system down here (one FreeBSD the other Novell NetWare
3.12).  All clients on the ethernet LAN are able to attach to and log into
the Novell server and use and run any applications without problem.

Now, we installed Mercury SMTP on top of the Novell, and this also works
fine--any mail sent from a client is properly recognized by Mercury and
local ones are successfully delivered locally, but when Mercury tries to
transmit non-local mail to the Unix box, it reports:  "Error connecting to
192.42.99.2 (the FreeBSD box's assigned IP address). failed" and is just
unable to link to the FreeBSD box.

It might interest you to also note that neither of these servers is able
to PING the other.  However, as expected, each of these servers is able to
ping itself.

Now, in trying to isolate the problem we did the following:  we installed
a netware client on the DOS partition of the FreeBSD box and have been
able to attach and log into the Novell box without problem.  This assured
us that, at least, the ethernet card is in good shape (ie. it works), and
that it is not a hardware connectivity problem.  The physical link looks
OK.

So, more and more, our analysis is leading us to think that we have not
properly configured FreeBSD to recognize the network interface card that
we are using and, the truth infact is that, we don't really know where and
_how_ in FreeBSD to do it!

Here are some statistics about our setup and some messages during booting:

-   EZ-2000 is the NIC we're using

-   But during FreeBSD boot, a line says something like "NE2000 (16-
    bit) card..." is what the kernel has been configured to use.

-   "ed1: device timeout" displays in BOLD during/after starting the
    daemons

-   when after booting, we try to ping the novell box, this same "ed1:
    device timeout" message displays 3 times as follows:

    Aug 13 17:04:19 aau /kernel: ed1: device timeout

    before the system continually reporting "Host is down: ..." when
    in actual fact it (ie. the Novell server) isn't.

A ping from the Novell server also shows that no data is received from the
FreeBSD box.  In otherwords, it is not recognizing or seeing the FreeBSD
box.  We are assured, however, that TCP/IP has been properly set up on
the Novell box--mercury doesn't complain about inet_addr and other such
stuff.

Following are some configuration info. on our FreeBSD server:

/etc/hosts
==========

127.0.0.1       localhost aau aau.org

192.42.99.2     aau aau.org                     # (the FreeBSD box)
192.42.99.1     campus_1 campus_1.aau.org       # (the Novell box)

/etc/sysconfig
==============

hostname=aau.org

network_interfaces="lo0 ed1"
ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.42.99.2 netmask 0xffffff00"

Well, dear friends, here we are again for another problem.  Please help!

Sincerely,

John & Kofi (a sweet friend!)

--
John Bart-Plange                        Email:  sysop@aau.org
Network System Operator                 Tel.:  (233-21) 774495