Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:32:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse configuration question

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:21:45 +0200
> Subject: Re: mouse configuration question
> From: Xavier <xavierfreebsdquestions@gmail.com>
>
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 02:09:13PM -0500, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> > I have a ps/2 mouse attached to a HP mini-tower running FreeBSD 8.3,
> > with a stripped-down kernel (no loadable modules).  I've apparently
> > removed something necessary for standard mouse functionality, but I
> > have no clue as to -what- is missing.
> >
> > Gory details:
> >   1) '/dev/psm0' exists and +is+ the mouse,
> >   2) 'moused' detects the mouse:  psm0  sysmouse Intellimouse
> >   3) 'moused -d' properly reports mouse activity -- button
> >   press/release and
> >      mouse motion.
> >   4) 'vidcontrol -m on' reports "inappropriate ioctl for device".
>
> Try another time out of any TMUX(1), SCREEN(1) or similar application,
> and it work right.

Unfortunately, _not_ true.  I've made multiple attempts from multiple
screen sessions, and even after multiple reboots.  No luck.

moused _is_ loaded on system boot, further there are multiple
'vidcontrol: inappropriate ioctl for device' messages on the console
as the last thing before the login prompt is displayed.

I've tried sending SIGHUP and/or SIGUSR1 to moused, with no effect on the
issue.  no '/dev/sysmouse', curses mouse routines still report total failure,
and all the rest.