Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2018 22:36:30 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Subject:   Re: Massive PORTREVSION bump for gcc8

This really answers nothing.
Comments below.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 1:36 AM Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 10:29:59AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > This morning the PORTREVISION on at least hundreds of ports was bumped
> > because gcc8 was declared as the "canonical" version. As a result, I will
> > have about 300 ports to rebuild which will take many hours.
> > Why?
>
> Because they need to be rebuilt so that they use the new default of gcc8.

Why does this matter? They were already working fine with gcc7. Why is it
of any significant benefit to the user to do this massive rebuild? I
installed gcc8, and I assume some of the rebuilds are using it, though

with USES=compiler specifying openmp, nestedfct, c11, c++0x, c++11-lang,
   c++11-lib, c++14-lang, c++17-lang, or gcc-c++11-lib

leaves me mystified as several of those items will not result in the use of
gcc, though there may be some reason I miss. Still, this is the cause of
the bump for many of the ports that are being rebuilt with clang.

But why is this better than just letting gcc8 build port as they otherwise
need updating? Again, this build will typically run for hours on many
systems, using a great deal of power and slowing other uses of the systems,
if they are not dedicated build systems.

> If a port is built and running properly with gcc7, I see no reason to
> force
> > the rebuild of all of the ports that are built with gcc7.
>
> If you do not want to upgrade, do not upgrade.  Now, if you want to keep
> up-to-date, well, you do have to rebuild everything with the new gcc
> default.

Since PORTREVISION is bumped, there is no quick way to tell whether a port
is showing an update because of the gcc8 bump or because of a real update.
Yes, I could look through the ports repository for each port and confirm
that it does or does not need a rebuild, but this is really not a
practical  solution. I normally update all ports to LATEST recularly. I
know that I am not alone in doing periodic updates. I know that the FreeBSD
package building systems will spend days building LATEST packages, again,
to no purpose I can discern. After two days of building, with several
failures. I still have 45 to go. The only good thing is that, since there
are no real updates, the failures don't really impact the system operations.

I'd really just like a real, valid reason that this is beneficial.
Honestly, I see no benefit to anyone.

--

E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com