Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:48:37 +0000
From:      Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=c3=a9?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>, Uni Gaia <unigaia@fastmail.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARM/ARM64 FreeBSD/Xen

Hi,

On 21/01/2019 08:27, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 10:59:08AM +0000, Uni Gaia wrote:
>> In https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features under
>> "Supported Mainline Architectures for the hypervisor (Host)" it is written
>> that ARMv7+virt extensions and ARMv8 are supported by Xen.
>>
>> Is work ongoing in porting FreeBSD/Xen to ARM/ARM64?
>
> AFAIK there's no current effort to port FreeBSD to run on Xen on ARM,
> either as DomU or Dom0.
>
> I'm adding Julien who works on Xen on ARM, he might have more
> information than myself, since I mostly work on x86.

I worked on a port a few years ago but never had time to properly upstream it. I
am not aware for more work since then.

With my work, I was able to boot FreeBSD as both DomU and Dom0 guest. The work
can be found on my git repository [1]. IIRC the branch dev-arm64 contains just
enough boot a DomU and Dom0. There are other branches (e.g dev-evtchn,
dev-xen-upstream) that contains cleanup series for making easier to have common
Xen code between architectures.

I am happy to provide help using the branches if you are interested. Although I
haven't worked on them for the past 3 years :).

Best regards,

[1] https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/julieng/freebsd.git;a=heads

--
Julien Grall