Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2008 04:14:59 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Micha=C3=ABl?= Le Barbier <michael.le_barbier@laposte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD's make under Linux

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:20:17 +0200, Micha=C3=ABl Le Barbier <michael.le_bar=
bier@laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> a few years ago, I tried to use FreeBSD's make under GNU/Linux, and
> thanks to `jpd' on c.u.b.f.misc, I managed to build FreeBSD 4.7's make
> under some GNU/Linux systems. Having a couple makefiles using make's
> features that were introduced after 4.7, I would like to build a more
> up-to-date, make.
>
> Before I start, I am double checking nobody has done the job yet, and
> nobody has it in the works. So, if you know anything about this, I
> would be very happy you share the info with me!

There's definitely interest in making FreeBSD make(1) buildable on
Linux and Solaris systems.  Warner Losh recently committed some changes
to bring us closer to this goal, and I'm on and off making changes to a
personal project at http://hg.hellug.gr/bmake/gker/ but I'm afraid that
the `pmake' port is all that is usable right now.