Date:      Tue, 21 May 2013 23:37:19 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Pol Hallen <freebsdenml@fuckaround.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem advice

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 06:43:25PM +0200, Pol Hallen wrote:
> Hi all and sorry for this (newbie) question.
>=20
> I study FreeBSD (I come from linux) and I'm not sure which filesystem use.
>=20
> My situation: install a fileserver (samba) for 3 clients and put it as
> gateway/server on internet (ssh, and samba to internal lan).
>=20
> I installed FreeBSD with raid 1 following this howto:
>=20
> http://www.ateamsystems.com/blog/Installing-FreeBSD-9-gmirror-GPT-partiti=
ons-raid-1
>=20
> everything ok!
>=20
> I see that use ufs filesystem, now:
>=20
> I'd like have less maintenance possible direclty to machine because this
> server is far to me 50Km.
>=20
> So I can use ssh for default (and extra) maintenance.
>=20
> Which filesystem is "better"? After total crash of system (i.e.) or
> black-out, ufs can repair it by itself? Or better use ufs+journal? or zfs?

By default, FreeBSD 9.x uses journaled soft-updates now. This will cut down
the filesystem check time significantly. A filesystem check will require
manual intervention when some kinds of errors are found.=20

ZFS likes to have a lot of memory, and preferably a 64-bit machine. See the
tuning guide: https://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide

> Motherboard is atom dual core with 2Gb of ram and 2 disks with 2Gb each.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY