Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:48:34 +0300
From:      Anton <freebsd@narr.spb.ru>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA-hdd or SATA-controller trouble.

Rich Wales wrote:

>"Anton" wrote:
>>> Aug 21 18:46:27 nrr kernel: ad4: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries
>>> left) LBA=344654303
>>> Aug 21 18:46:32 nrr kernel: ad4: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
>>> Aug 21 18:46:37 nrr kernel: ad4: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
>>> Aug 21 18:46:37 nrr kernel: ad4: WARNING - removed from configuration
>>> Aug 21 18:46:37 nrr kernel: ata2-master: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out
>
>"Veronica" replied:
>
>> I have had similar messages when my ATA cable was damaged.  So I suggest
>> replacing your cable.
>
>I've been seeing similar problems to Anton, with brand-new SATA cables that
>are definitely not damaged.  (Note that Anton was talking about a SATA disk,
>with a completely different kind of data cable from old ATA drives.)

Yes, it definitile not cable problem. I've confirmed that problem on 3 controllers
that kind on 2 different computers.

Even this morning I've got this problem one more time:
At 3:00, when "periodical" script was running:
Nov 23 03:03:11 home kernel: ad6: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=332190879
Nov 23 03:03:16 home kernel: ad6: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
Nov 23 03:03:21 home kernel: ad6: FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out
Nov 23 03:03:21 home kernel: ad6: WARNING - removed from configuration
Nov 23 03:03:21 home kernel: ata3-master: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out

Need to say, that it is my home computer, it didn't have any heavy load. Only time, when it can,
it was when "periodical" script was run.
After that message, comp was working for 5 hours, until I checked that message and try to understand,
what happened. I'm discover, that FS, belonged to that disk, was mounted, but, of course, after I try to
unmount, system immediately rebooted.

>Although it's possible that Anton could be having hardware problems due to
>overheating or other drive flakiness, there have been lots of reports of
>timeout problems with SATA drives on Promise controllers under heavy I/O
>load, from many people, for quite some time now, and I would be surprised
>if they were all due to overheating.

One more I need to say - I've changed hard drives too. Problem only with controller.

>Something is messed up -- maybe in the Promise controller, maybe in the
>FreeBSD driver, or (I'll admit for the sake of completeness) maybe in the
>drives or elsewhere in the system.  And as I said, lots of people on the
>net have reported this problem, but no one (so far) has confessed to having
>a clue as to what is causing it or how to fix it.

>I'm running 6.1-RELEASE-p9 on an old 800-MHz Athlon (original "Slot A" CPU
>type), in a DTK VAM-0070 motherboard.  I've seen other people, though,

On both my computers was 5.5-Release (-p4 and -p8). In first case - Celeron, in second - Semptron.
So, motherboads different.
First get medial load, due many http requests, second most of time don't have any load.
If any additional info needed, please tell.

PS. When I can, I try to test it on 6.2-RC1, but unfortunately, I don't have much time for experiments...

--
Anton