Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:35:08 -0500
From:      Thomas =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mberg?= <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper permissons on /tmp

Leif Neland wrote:

> Something keeps changing permissions on /tmp to 755, which causes pine to
> claim the mailbox is in use by another process.
> This change has occurred a couple of times lately, but I haven't found a
> pattern.
> When I reset the perms to 777, pine works normal again.
> What is the proper perms on /tmp?
>
> Leif

I ran into the same thing a lot on our main intranet server (Solaris
7).. what it ended up being was pretty simple. I used to compile most of
my stuff in /tmp (now I do it in ~/compiling), and sometimes do the bad
thing (relative paths.. enough said) of extracting stuff as root in
/tmp.

Some tarfiles would then extract into . and reset the permissions of . -
for instance, McAfee for UNIX virus updates. The permissions would get
reset to 755. And of course, I'd get tons of user complaints that things
were messing up for them (for instance, uw-imap).

Just wanted to share one possible explanation.. this sure had us fooled
for a few weeks.

--
name> thomas r. stromberg                    work> tstromberg@rtci.com