Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:08:03 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

--Zl+NncWK+U5aSfTo

I would appreciate a little more trimming.  It's hard to read
when I have to scroll through 100 lines of quotes of emails I've
already read.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:54:09PM +0200, Roman Kennke wrote:
> Actually the pkgsrc system supports FreeBSD.

True, but NetBSD's methods are different from FreeBSD's.

> yes. The pkgsrc system was originally a port from FreeBSDs ports system
> to NetBSD, as such it works very similar to it. Including automatically
> installing dependencies. It has some tradeoffs with automatic upgrading
> (no portupgrade tool yet).
[...]
> > 	...EVen if your "bsdports.org" is the best idea of the century
> > 	it's still going to take volunteers--that's what bites.
> > 	(*sigh*)
>=20
> yeah. This is why I am collecting other ideas first.

You might want to check history first -- I worked with a few
others for about a year on OpenPackages.org, back in 2001.  The
venture ultimately failed in its intent to create a uniform
package management system.  Admittedly we probably got a bit too
idealistic.  But the logistics of converting an existing userbase
=66rom one system to another wholesale are staggering.  If you can
figure out how to do just that part, I would be very interested
in your ideas.

Anyway, check history.  There's LOTS of discussion about this.

Regards,
--=20
wca

--Zl+NncWK+U5aSfTo