Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:41:00 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        marjan.mihelin@kclj.si
Cc:        if@sil.at, abial@webgiro.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fiskars UPS - solution!

"doc. dr. Marjan Mihelin, dipl. ing." wrote:
> Hi
> >
> > > We are using from 1993 Fiskars UPS 0.8 A UPS unit (Type UPS 1008A-
> > > 10EU, PartNo: 10 02 891 Rev A1, SerNo: 119355 9345, Made in Finland)
> > > and few days ago the Battery failure control light started blinking.
> > > We replaced accus (5 pcs 12V 4Ah) and we charged them for 48 hours
> > > but the control light is still blinking. Do you have any advice what
> > > to do? Where it is possible to get the electrical plans of this
> > > unit? I would be grateful for any help.
> >
> > try to measure the battery voltage and the load current.
> > perhaps the batterys are low level decharged,,, (a 12v battery have
> > less than 10V). the try to load it a while with a battery loader
> > (perhaps a car-battery loader) and limit the current to 300ma.
> >
> > that should work..
> >
> Finally, we found the proper solution. Only the proper reset was
> needed. Inside of the unit, close to the front panel there is an 8
> position DIP switch. The uppermost switch should change the position
> and then the reset button on the front panel should be pressed. The
> unit reset is finalized by turning the unit off, then DIP switch
> should be pressed into the initial position and when you switch the
> unit on, everything is OK.
> Thank you for all advises and best regards
> Marjan

Hi, thanks for the personal cc, but I don't have a Fiskars,
it sounds useful info though, so I suggest you
	cd /usr/ports/*/nut ;
	grep MAINTAINER Makefile # (as fallback if next fails)
	make patch
	explore tree for author of Nut, &
mail him your notes to incorporate in nut-0.45.0.tar.gz (applicable
to FreeBSD-4.4) That way your detective work gets to be saved for others :-)
Cheers.
Julian
J.Stacey	Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Independent Consultant
 Reduce costs to secure jobs: Use free software: http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/free/
 Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !