Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 19:43:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        taob@nbc.netcom.ca (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.02b7 hangs

>     The FreeBSD version of Netscape Communicator 4.02b7 only runs on
> the first invocation (i.e., when it determines it needs to bring up
> the license agreement window).  Attempting to restart Netscape once
> quitting that initial invocation will fail.  The process starts
> chewing up all of the CPU and not doing anything useful.
>
>     Switching to an earlier Linux version, and then back to 4.02b7
> will temporarily allow it to run (and again bring up the license
> agreement window).  I ktraced the process and it appears to be stuck
> doing gettimeofday()'s, until I killed it.  Any ideas?

Hmm, this bug did not happen on my configuration--I installed 4.02b7
from the port and found this warning in the DESCR file:

Content of /usr/ports/www/netscape4/pkg/DESCR:

This is the netscape web-surfboard.  Please read the file
"/usr/local/lib/netscape/LICENSE" for the licensing terms.

Note: If netscape hangs on startup eating all CPU time, find
user_pref("browser.startup.license_accepted", ...); line in your
~/.netscape/preferences.js and move it to the end of the file or
remove it, if previous not helps.
Don't forget to report this bug to Netscape Team.

Note: If Java applets fail to display.  Type this as root:
		cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
		/usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir
		chmod 444 fonts.dir
      And then exit and restart your X server.

The first note might apply to your bug.

Wolfgang