Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:01:03 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Rodolfo Heitor Gevaerd de Faria <rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-maintainers@wcarchive.cdrom.com, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: Proposed reorganization of ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

Jordan K. Hubbard was saying that,
^ I'll try to make this brief. The situation as we currently see it
^ today is this:
^
^ 2.2.7-RELEASE           alpha                   packages-3.0
^ 2.2.8-RELEASE           development             packages-current
^ 2.2.8-STABLE            distfiles               packages-current-aout
^ 3.0-CURRENT             docs                    packages-stable
^ 3.0-RELEASE             incoming                ports
^ CERT                    index.html              ports-3.0
^ CTM                     ls-lR.gz                ports-current
^ CVSup                   mailing-lists           ports-stable
^ FreeBSD-CVS             newsletter              tools
^ FreeBSD-current         packages                updates
^ FreeBSD-stable          packages-2.2.7
^ README                  packages-2.2.8
^
^ Finding this increasingly rather cluttered, I'd like to propose
^ that we move to something more like this:

In this new structure where would fit what used to be packages-2.2.7,
packages-2.2.8 and packages-3.0 ?

They are rather big, actually we have enough disk space for only one of them.

What about the snapshots ? There will be a snapshots/ directory or it will
be under the current/, stable/ or releases/ directories ?

Also some time ago, I think during the 2.1.x releases, the XFree used to
be a symbolic link to the /pub/XFree86 directory. So because of that
we also did a mirror of that directory (both for FreeBSD and NetBSD).
But lately we found out that we had a bunch of copies of XFree (one in the
XFree, one with the RELEASE other with the SNAPSHOT and so on).
Is there a way to organize that so we can keep only ONE copy of XFree
for each version of FreeBSD (2.2.x and 3.x) ? For me the old symbolic link
was just fine, but I believe that should be a reason for it to be removed.

And last, where will be the commerce and xperimnt ? That is also using a
considerable amount of space, and there aren't much users that download
those from here.

^
^ README.TXT
^ index.html
^ releases/
^ 	README.TXT
^ 	index.html
^ 	2.2.7-RELEASE/
^ 	2.2.8-RELEASE/
^ 	3.0-RELEASE/
^ 		README.TXT
^ 		index.html
^ 		axp/
^ 		x86/
^ 	2.2.8-STABLE -> stable
^ 	3.0-CURRENT -> current
^ 	current/
^ 		README.TXT
^ 		index.html
^ 		ports
^ 		packages
^ 		src
^ 	stable/
^ 		README.TXT
^ 		index.html
^ 		ports
^ 		packages
^ 		src
^
^ doc/
^ 	index.html
^ 	INSTALL.TXT
^ 	README.TXT
^ 	HARDWARE.TXT
^ 	UPGRADE.TXT
^ 	etc...
^
^ And that would be it for the top-level directory structure.  The only
^ part of this I have any reservations about myself is splitting
^ 3.0-RELEASE into architecture subdirs, but I really don't see how we
^ can get around that step without yuck-ifying our hierarchy even more
^ as FreeBSD gets ported to other architectures (hey, they said it would
^ never happen at all and now we run on the AXP - think towards the
^ future! :).
^
^ The index.html files I can also live without, but again, I'm think of
^ how many people may be indexing the site these days and how they'll
^ want to view it in the future.
^
^ Comments?
^
^ - Jordan
^
^ To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
^ with "unsubscribe freebsd-hubs" in the body of the message
^

	Rodolfo H G Faria
       <rodolfo@ravel.ufrj.br>