Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:14:51 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation != FreeBSD sale (was Re: Netscape browser)

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 07:57:02AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Steve Price wrote:
> >
> >     Linux sales = real Linux sales + sales for emulated copies
> >
> > I don't know the solution to this problem.  I do know that
> > using a Linux product under emulation doesn't do much to bolster
> > interest (at least not from the company putting out the product)
> > unless we get the numbers to count in our favor.
>
> This is an excellent opportunity for some advocacy that has a chance
> of doing something useful.  Getting vendors of Linux apps to a) test
> their products under FreeBSD linux emulation, or at least accept OUR
> test results; b) advertise their products as being compatible with
> FreeBSD; and c) record sales number for FreeBSD to guage the user
> base would be a big plus to the FreeBSD community.  This might even
> eventually lead to commitments to produce FreeBSD native versions, or
> at least to guarantee (and bug-fix) their code will run under the
> linuxulator.
>
> I've already gotten the vendors of Wingz (spreadsheet) to agree to
> a and b, and to put whatever logo we can come up with on their Linux
> download page.  They are interested in tracking sales numbers, too,
> but aren't going to do anything until we get them a logo and etc for
> steps a and b.

The logo business was discussed to death a few months back on this very
list, as part of the 'Works with FreeBSD' branding program.....whatever
happened to that?  I recall that someone was going to take all the
suggestions we all made and do something constructive with them.  So,
whoever that someone was, are you still out there?

Cheers,

	Scott