Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:43:23 +0300
From:      Zaro Korchev <zkorchev@mail.bg>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Machine readable output from userland utilities] report

This week I made some improvements to the output library libsol to allow =
more flexibility.

I have modified the base system's versions of ls and vmstat to support =
the new output library. There are some things to fix but both tools can =
now produce JSON output.

The changes are available at my GSoC svn repository:
https://socsvn.freebsd.org/socsvn/soc2014/zkorchev/

At the moment both ls and vmstat are told to output JSON by specifying =
the -O option. However as I discussed with my mentor, this will be =
changed. The idea is to use an environment variable instead of the -O =
flag.

Here are some examples of the output of vmstat (I formatted the JSON in =
this email to be more readable for humans):

# vmstat -O
{
    "procs_r": 0,
    "procs_b": 0,
    "procs_w": 0,
    "mem_avg": 541240,
    "mem_free": 887156,
    "page_flt": 15,
    "page_re": 0,
    "page_pi": 0,
    "page_po": 0,
    "page_fr": 18,
    "page_sr": 5,
    "ad0": 0,
    "cd0": 0,
    "fault_in": 2,
    "fault_sy": 41,
    "fault_cs": 61,
    "cpu_user": 0.09950441105699527,
    "cpu_sys": 1.5893235226189397,
    "cpu_idle": 98.31117206632406
}

# vmstat -Of
{
    "fork": {
        "count": 605,
        "pages": 23192,
        "average": 38.33388429752066
    },
    "vfork": {
        "count": 319,
        "pages": 11546,
        "average": 36.19435736677116
    },
    "rfork": {
        "count": 0,
        "pages": 0,
        "average": 0
    }
}

I'm thinking about rounding the floating point numbers.

Any suggestions for improvement are welcome :)

Zaro=