Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:50:32 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Via C3 support under FreeBSD

Along similar lines...

I recently picked up a 1GHz Via C3 Ezra, and have been using it successfully
with 4.8.  However, I had some troubles building world and kernel...

The CPU reports itself as a 686-class CPU.  So I set my make.conf variables
appropriately (CPUTYPE=i686), and my kernel configuration file appropriately
(machine i386, cpu I686_CPU), but I kept on getting Signal 4's whenever
doing a buildworld (in cc_tools) and buildkernel (on the first config line).

So I dropped back down to 586, buildworld, buildkernel, reboot, and the
kernel started complaining that this processor class wasn't configured.  I
rebuilt the kernel using I586_CPU /and/ I686_CPU, and can run just fine.

Does anyone know any problems with the C3 and its CPU class?  Know why it
reports itself as a 686, but setting the 686 flag in make.conf causes a
Signal 4 on certain actions?  Or is the CPUTYPE=i686 reserved only for
Pentium Pro CPUs?

Snippet of "cd /usr/src ; make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC":

    ===> GENERIC
    mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys
    cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf;
    PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
    Illegal instruction (core dumped)
    *** Error code 132

    Stop in /usr/src.
    *** Error code 1