Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:35:47 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Patch for ulpt. {was Re: usb printer problem (clarified)}

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:52:06PM +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:17:15PM +0200, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 11:02:04PM +0200, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > > Tracking stable, latest update a few hours ago, my USB Epson 740 doesn't
> > > print anything anymore. It appears in usbdevs, and all the startup
> > > messages look normal. But it don't work. I have Windows on this machine
> > > as well and under that it does print.
> > > Anyone else having trouble or have a clue (and no I didn't overwrite it
> > > during mergemaster)
> > >
> > I meant to say I did not overwrite "printcap" during mergemaster.
> >

> I'd be interested to hear whether this patch makes broken printers work
> without breaking working ones.

Actually I followed up my email above with an "explanation", though I do
not understand it at all.
My printer would not print anymore at the time I write the above, under
Windows it would print in black only at the highest resolution. I ran
the cartrdige cleaning utility a few times, but made no difference. So
on a hunch I replaced both cartridges (they were not empty by any
means)_ and lo and behold it started working perfectly under FreeBSD and
Windows. Now it is probable the colour cartridge was blocked beyond
cleaning. But it is still a mystery to me why it would not even try to
print until the cartridges were changed ....

I thought the patch had been committed to stable already ? I rebuilt
everything yesterday and my printer is working a treat :)

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson