Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 00:28:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@area238.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fvwm 2

> I am thinking that I want to give fvwm2 a try ... I'm a long term happy
> user of fvwm 1.24, and I was wondering if anyone else who's made the move
> would have any pointers on making it smooth?  Do I just build fvwm2 in
> ports and install?  Or do I need to move anything out of the way first?

	I would suggest installing it somewhere other than the default
(/usr/X11R6/bin) first, and see how you like it.  There's a script that
comes with it that will do a decent job of converting your fvwm 1 rc file
to fvwm2 format.  I think I changed the script a little, though.  (I didn't
like the spacing in new rc file.)
	I've been running fvwm 2 for a couple of months now, it isn't too
bad.  One thing I don't like is that there doesn't seem to be any way to
make the menus *not* sticky.  IIRC, fvwm 1.24 had non-sticky menus by
default, and I think there was a way to make them sticky.  In fvwm 2, the
default seems to be sticky, and I haven't figured out how to make them
un-sticky by default.  (if anyone knows how to do this, let me know.
Otherwise, into the source I go....:)  )

> Thanks.  BTW, I don't have any interest in emulating Windows, so I think
> I'll give fvwm95 a pass.

	Heh.  I checked it out, even freaked out a few friends of mine who
thought I'd finally cracked and installed Win95...:)  I prefer plain fvwm a
little more, but I'm sure that really fits the bill for some folks.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@area238.residence.gatech.edu