Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:18:01 +0200
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        "Andrew W. Nosenko" <andrew.w.nosenko@gmail.com>
Cc:        Marcin Wisnicki <mwisnicki+freebsd@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange contents on some ftp mirrors

On 28/07/2010 23:24, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 18:39, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de> wrote:

>>> Yeah that was it, but it is really, really bad.
>>> Mirroring must be atomic (mirror to temporary directory then rename).
>>> Otherwise there is a large window of time every couple of days when upgrading
>>> packages will at best fail or leave you with broken system.
>>> I did binary upgrade with pkg_upgrade yesterday and half of my system was linked
>>> against wrong libintl version :(
>>
>> The next version of pkg_upgrade will check every downloaded package
>> against the master server after completing the download.
>
> Excuse me?  The ports check downloaded source tarball against SHA
> checksum.  Just for nay case like downloading error or malicious
> inject.  Did you try to say that binary package have no such
> safeguard?

Exactly. The INDEX does not contain such information. The thing
is to do that, the pointyhat INDEX format would have to differ
from the ports INDEX format.

A possiblity of course, but also a source of trouble if the INDEX
format of the ports should ever change, something I desire:

Another solution would be to add an empty column that pointyhat
can fill in.