Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 1995 13:43:25 +0100
From:      Andras Olah <olah@cs.utwente.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcpdump 3.0?

On Fri, 17 Feb 1995 02:48:36 PST, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> Hmmmm.  Well, in the grand tradition of "you touched it last!" I would
> say that the thing for you to do is to:
>
> 1. Taking your own copy of -current as a baseline, create a delta to it that
>    *only* upgrades it to the 3.0 version.  Apply it to a checked out copy
>    on freefall and check it in (you DO have your own commit privileges, I
>    notice! :), then tag it as tcpdump3_0, just to make it easy to get back
>    to the 3.0 upgrade point.
>
> 2. Now bring your T/TCP changes to 3.0 over and apply them, checking in
>    the changes again.  Now we have a nice new tcpdump with your stuff in and
>    a nice, reasonable revision history in the repository.
>
> 3. Jump up and down.  Whee!  You're done! The ordeal is over! :-)

OK, I'll do it but I need some help from experts:

1.) this is on freefall, could somebody fix it?
> ls -l ~
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7 Feb  7 13:15 /home/olah -> /a/olah

2.) I'm new to CVS and it may take some time until I feel
confident enough to commit this.

3.) tcpdump 3.0 needs libpcap which is said to be in alpha (v0.0 is
the current version).  The question is if I should stick libpcap
into /usr/src/lib or just put it next to the tcpdump sources such
that the lib is only used to compile tcpdump but doesn't get
installed.

Any help is appreciated,

  Andras