Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:25:31 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        rob@cyberpunkz.org
Subject:   Re: STRANGE issue with UIDs

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1

* Rob Andrews <rob@cyberpunkz.org> [20010917 11:05]: writing on the subject=
 'Re: STRANGE issue with UIDs'
| On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 10:58:43AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
| > Someone has seen this one???? UID's existing twice???
|=20
| Its not uncommon for some admins to assign a uid to multiple
| users on a system. =20

Until today, I've had only one ocassion to have two users share a UID but n=
ot this whole bunch.
I have to do away with the duplication, somehow and I believe someone more =
knoledgeable can help
me. I can also do it manually if that's the only option open to me.

| If you wish to not see those warnings when running adduser then set the -=
silent option as it tells
| you when you are adding the user and you won't have to see those messages.

Well, I did not even know of the existence of this issue until my colleague=
 did adduser -v

| The output is showing you the uid and the crossed usernames
| to which are associated.  If you didn't add those users and
| are concerned you should probably inquire with someone the
| purpose for their doing that. =20

Hmm, I don't think there is any reason someone did this, especially because=
 those
are e-mail aonly accounts without shells.
I need a way of sorting that out. I will need to assign the users new UIDs =
and I'm wondering
if I have to do that manually.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

There were truths to be learnt and there was wisdom to be gained... but the=
re=20
was a price to to be paid as well. You could not brush up against the futur=
e=20
and escape unscathed. You could not see into the forbidden and avoid damage=
 to=20
your sight.=20
-Terry Brooks, First King of Shannara=20

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1--